Back in 2011, when I first started my online business, I went directly to a scuba magazine company and buy an ad for 3 months.
We generated $0 revenue from the ad after 3 months, maybe because buying an ad on physical magazine was outdated because everybody surf online now. Well I was really clueless when I first started the online business. However, we didn’t do any advertisement after that until 2016 when I want to pushed our web store traffic. Now I test on Newsletters, Amazon PPC, Facebook Ad, and Google Adwords.
So, five years no advertisement, no Google Adwords, no Amazon Pay-Per-Click, no Facebook Ad, nothing at all. And we still managed to grow our business from $43,000/year to $1,420,000/year… I’ll talk about how exactly I did later. Now let me talk about the options you have for online advertising first…
[Option 1] Build an email list, and send out weekly newsletters
- Do you already have a list of customer emails? If not, you should start building one. E-Mail Service providers like MailChimp & AWeber let you store your customer emails and setup automated newsletters.
- Place an email signup form on your website where visitors can enter their emails for a coupon.
- Sending out newsletters to push the sales.
[Option 2] Bidding on Amazon PPC if you’re selling on Amazon
- This one is much simple because Amazon already have automatic targeted keywords for you
- All you need to do is to place the bidding amount (Basically if other people do PPC with a similar product, highest bidder will win the ad)
[Option 3] Buy Google Adwords
- In Google Adwords, go to Google Keyword Planner under Tools and find out which of your related keywords are less competitive with a large amount of monthly searches.
- Spend a small budget (Around $300/mo) to test out which keywords the best.
- After you find out which keywords work the best, spend more money on the proven working keywords.
[Option 4] Buy Facebook Ad
- Make sure you already setup a payment option and a business page for Facebook.
- Inside of your Facebook account, click on “Create Ad” in the top right menu
- Inside of Facebook Ad Manager portal, click on “Audiences” under “Assets” on the top left menu. We’re going to create custom audiences set, otherwise you will be showing your ad to people who aren’t interested at all (and you waste your money)
- Set at least 2-3 audiences set, targeting 1 million users each.
- Create an Ad in Facebook and do a split test on the audiences set. Turn off the ad for the lower performed audience set.
- Keep testing until you reach under $1.00 per click.
[Option 5] Buy An Ad on A Highly Ranked Website of Your Niche
- Google “top xxx magazines” (xxx is your niche, and make sure you find the online magazine that post their articles into blogpost and social media, not those magazines only do physical copies.
- You will get a list of the online magazine companies. Next, use Alexa.com to check their website rankings and traffic. This will help you to determine which company gets more audiences.
- Once you decided which company to go with, contact them for “Media Kit,” the prices will be listed in the Media Kit
What’s Most Important….
If your product line is not strong enough, doing advertisement will not be as effective. The key point is your branding and merchandising strategies. Unlike other “Amazon experts,” I don’t just teach about Amazon. Of course I do teach some of Amazon tips, but the main thing is about merchandising strategy that will not expire for another century. The main strategy should be the product/brand itself, not Amazon tips, not Facebook tips, not any other marketplaces in specific.
Instead of doing little tricks on those paid softwares and Amazon PPC and etc, if you build a brand that represent your niche with a big selection, you will stand out anywhere. Instead of focusing on a few products you’re selling.
All of the advertisement is just bonus, what it REALLY matters is how you build your products. And that is the core of the business you should spend most of your time focusing on.